Home made workshop and back at John’s workshop trying differnt processes again…..

IMG_2473 IMG_2472 IMG_2471 IMG_2470 IMG_2469 IMG_2468 IMG_2467 IMG_2466 IMG_2465 IMG_2464 IMG_2463 IMG_2462 IMG_2461 IMG_2460 IMG_2459 IMG_2458 IMG_2457 IMG_2456 IMG_2454So I followed everything step by step using the single negative process using gum to print onto metal. in the smae way I did at John Brewer’s studio, which worked perfectly well and guess what… nothing at all. I followed the method three times, changing te chemicals slightly and exposing for longer and soaking for longer and still nothing. I hen tried the same process on to gelatine paper and it worked perfectly. Reasured that my technique was correct i was equally frustrated as i had no idea what was going wrong. I visited John and we came to the conclusion that there must have been some grease in the metal or iron reacting to the chemical, not letting the colours stick to the pigment (gelatine.)

With gum printing not taking to the metal I have decided to see if I can get an image onto metal using the cyanatype process. Painting on two layers and drying with a hot or cold hair dryer. Then exposing in the uv thing for 20mins.

Trying new method as the cyanatype process didn’t stick to the egg or collodion… The blue image just washed away very quickly. So far the most contrasty image was the cyanatype onto gelatine. So perhaps more layers of gelatine is need to allow it to stick and stay on the metal.
Now trying new process applying an immulsion and exposing the negative to the uv light… Watching the metal change in colour(red brown). Collodio chloride process. Exposing slowly and for longer creates more contrast.
I think the silver nitrate in the immulsion reacted to iron in the metal with darkened the metal and degraded the printing image. Leaving little left to see.

Now trying the same process onto aluminium, using a home made emulsion cholodian chloride, which is painted onto the alumnium and dried and  neg is then placed on the chemical and exposed to subtle light for a long time… during this process you can pysically see the colour changing and reacting to the light Turning brown in colour. Afer 25 mins i took it pout and an image had taken really clearly. however as the image was washed the chemical unstuck frombthe mental and began to float. I quickly decided to place my origional piece of metal underneath and applied the image to it. Once dried i was extremley happy with the result.

I nw have a cyanotype which is very blue and abstract, a three colour gum print which is very ghost like and degraded and a cholodian chloride print which is brown in colour and very clear.

With this process working the best i decided to make another using another negative i had digitally made, using the same process and peeling the image off and applying it to my metal. The last thing I did was coat it in platinum, giving me 5 very different alternative process prints. All very abstract and all very delicate and fragile at the same time.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s